Dear MeiGui: I'm looking for a foreign woman!
Originally published in The China Post, 10/22/08
I am a Taiwan man looking to date a foreign woman. This is because I attentively see what benefits Taiwan women dating foreign men receive. For example, I have studied English for a long time, but my speaking is still not good. However, we have many young women in our company’s office dating foreign men, and when they communicate with English-speaking clients; they speak very fluently.
I need to find a foreign girlfriend, so I can study English well, and make my English ability the same with my female colleagues. Please, MeiGui give me advice about how to date foreign women.
-- Eager English Student
Dear Eager English Student;
I will assume by “foreign” you actually mean “Western”; and although I think getting to know more English speaking people is a better way to improve your skills, I do realize that this option is probably far too logical and sensible. Thus, I have made some notes below for your information.
- If you are over 30 years old and still live with your parents – move out now!
- Should you find a female who is actually willing to date you, do not scream at her to change your dirty ashtray while you spit betel nut juice into the potted-plant in her living room.
- Note that watching Chinese-language soap operas on the living sofa, while chatting loudly with the rest of your extended family does not constitute a social activity for most Western women.
-- Here’s hoping you can’t find a date, MeiGui
How does a 30-something shy guy from Canada handle dating in Taipei? I get tongue-tied every time I try to ask a local girl for a date. I also worry about the cultural differences involved in having a relationship with a girl here.
What’s the skinny on finding dates and having relationships with Taipei girls?
-- Shy Guy
Dear Shy Guy;
Just let the babes come to you. Put back a few beers to overcome the shyness, and then go linger in a public place.
However, should you really be too shy to take this simple and direct approach, I have outlined some points for you below.
- Talk about all the money you will inherit one day when in the presence of attractive females.
- When dating, be extremely jealous while insisting that you still have the right to date other girls, as you believe in “Big Man” ideology.
- Note that watching an endless stream of action movie DVDs on the living room sofa, while drinking beer with your English-teaching buddies, can by default, constitute a social activity for women in Taiwan – refer to point three above.
-- Anyone can do it, MeiGui